Entrance Exams for Overseas Study
Whether you’re a high school student or a working professional looking to advance your career, taking entrance exams may be a necessary step in the admission process for a foreign college and university. From language proficiency tests to standardized tests like the SAT and ACT, there are a variety of exams that can help universities and employers assess your qualifications and potential for success. But with so many options, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. In this article, we’ll explore some of the most common entrance exams for overseas study.
GRE (Graduate Record Examinations test)
The GRE test is here to help you unlock your potential and gain admission into the graduate school of your dreams.
What is the GRE test?
The GRE test, or the Graduate Record Examinations test, is a standardized test that measures your readiness for graduate-level academic work. It assesses your verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing abilities.
How much does the GRE test cost in India?
The current cost of the GRE test in India is $205 (approximately INR 14,600).
Which countries and courses require the GRE test?
Universities and institutions around the world widely accept the GRE test as a prerequisite for graduate-level programs. Some of the countries and courses that require the GRE test include:
1. United States: Many graduate programs in the United States, including business schools, engineering programs, and social sciences, require the GRE test as part of the application process.
2. Canada: Several universities in Canada require the GRE test for admission into their graduate programs, particularly in fields such as engineering and business.
3. United Kingdom: Some universities in the United Kingdom, such as the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge, require the GRE test for specific graduate programs.
4. Australia: The GRE test is required for admission into some graduate programs in Australia, particularly in fields such as psychology and engineering.
The GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
The GMAT is here to help you master the business world and gain admission into top graduate-level programs.
What is the GMAT?
The GMAT or the Graduate Management Admission Test, is a standardized test that measures your readiness for graduate-level study in business and management. It assesses your abilities in analytical writing, integrated reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and verbal reasoning.
How Much Does the GMAT Test Cost in India?
The current cost of the GMAT test in India is $250 (approximately INR 17,700).
Which courses and institutions require the GMAT test?
The GMAT is widely accepted by business schools and management programs around the world as a prerequisite for admission. Some of the courses and institutions that require the GMAT include:
1. Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs: The GMAT test is required for admission into most MBA programs worldwide, including top programs like Harvard Business School, Stanford Graduate School of Business, and INSEAD.
2. Master of Finance programs: Many master’s programs in finance require the GMAT, including programs at top institutions like London Business School and MIT Sloan School of Management.
3. Master of Accountancy programs: The GMAT is required for admission into many master’s programs in accounting, such as those at the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
TOEFL is a standardized test that measures your ability to use and understand English at the university level.
What is TOEFL?
The TOEFL is a computer-based test that measures your English language abilities in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. It is designed for non-native English speakers who want to study, work, or live in an English-speaking country.
How Much Does the TOEFL Test Cost in India?
The current cost of the TOEFL test in India is $180 (approximately INR 13,000). However, the cost may vary depending on the location and the type of test you choose.
Secure a $30 Discount on the TOEFL Registration fee with Collegepond.
Which courses and institutions require the TOEFL test?
Many universities and institutions around the world require the TOEFL test as proof of English language proficiency for admission. Some of the courses and institutions that require the TOEFL test include:
1. Undergraduate and graduate programs: Many universities require the TOEFL test as part of their admissions process, including top institutions like Harvard University, Stanford University, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
2. Professional and vocational programs: Many professional and vocational programs, such as nursing or law programs, may also require the TOEFL test as part of their admissions process.
3. Scholarship programs: Some scholarship programs, such as the Fulbright Program, require applicants to submit TOEFL scores as part of their application.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
What is IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a standardized test that measures a person’s proficiency in the English language. It is designed to assess a person’s ability to read, write, speak, and understand English in an academic or work environment.
How Much Does the IELTS Test Cost in India?
The cost of the IELTS test in India varies depending on the location and test type, but it typically ranges from INR 14,000 to INR 15,000.
Which courses and institutions require the IELTS test?
Many universities and colleges around the world require the IELTS test as a prerequisite for admission, especially for non-native English speakers. Some of the courses and institutions that require the IELTS test include:
1. Undergraduate and graduate programs: Many universities require the IELTS test for admission into their undergraduate and graduate programs, including top institutions like Oxford University, Cambridge University, and Harvard University.
2. Professional programs: Some professional programs, such as law and medicine, may also require the IELTS test for admission.
3. Immigration: Some countries, including Canada and Australia, require the IELTS test for immigration purposes.
4. Employment: Some employers may also require the IELTS test as a measure of English language proficiency.
PTE (Pearson Test of English)
PTE is a computer-based language proficiency test that evaluates your English skills for academic, immigration, and employment purposes.
What is PTE?
The Pearson Test of English (PTE) is a computer-based English language proficiency test that assesses your abilities in speaking, writing, listening, and reading. It’s designed to help you demonstrate your English language skills for study, work, and migration purposes.
How Much Does the PTE Test Cost in India?
The current cost of the PTE test in India is approximately INR 14,000.
Which courses and institutions require the PTE test?
The PTE test is accepted by a variety of universities, colleges, and governments worldwide. Some of the courses and institutions that require the PTE test include:
1. Master’s and PhD programs: The PTE test is accepted by a number of universities for admission into graduate-level programs.
2. Visa applications: The PTE test is accepted by a number of countries for visa applications, including Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
3. Professional bodies: The PTE test is recognized by a variety of professional bodies for English language requirements, including the Institute of Management Accountants and the National Board of Medical Examiners.
Duolingo English Test
As international education becomes increasingly popular, students need to prove their English language proficiency to gain admission to universities and colleges around the world. The Duolingo English Test is a relatively new option that has quickly gained popularity. Here’s everything you need to know about the test:
What is the Duolingo English Test?
The Duolingo English Test is an online, adaptive test that assesses a student’s English language skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. The test uses artificial intelligence to adapt to a student’s skill level and provides an accurate and reliable measure of their English proficiency.
The test takes about an hour to complete, and the results are available within 48 hours. It is accepted by more than 2,000 universities and colleges worldwide.
How much does the Duolingo English Test cost?
The cost of the Duolingo English Test varies depending on the country. In India, the current cost is INR 6,900.
Which Universities accept the Duolingo English Test?
The Duolingo English Test is accepted by more than 2,000 universities and colleges worldwide, including top institutions such as Yale University, Columbia University, and the University of Toronto.
SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
If you’re a student planning to attend college in the United States for undergraduate programs, you’ll likely need to take the SAT as part of your admissions process.
What is the SAT?
The SAT is a standardized test used for college admissions in the United States. It measures a student’s readiness for college-level work and is designed to assess their knowledge and skills in reading, writing, and math. The test is accepted by most colleges and universities in the United States and is typically taken by high school juniors and seniors.
What Does the SAT Include?
The SAT Test includes four sections: Reading, Writing and Language, Math (with a calculator), and Math (without a calculator). The Reading and Writing and Language sections are combined into an Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section. The Math sections focus on algebra, problem-solving, and data analysis. The test also includes an optional essay section.
How Much Does the SAT Cost in India?
As of 2023, the basic registration fee for the SAT in India is $52 (approximately INR 3,800) for Indian students. Students who choose to take the optional essay section will need to pay an additional $16 (approximately INR 1,200). Late registration fees and other fees may apply depending on the test date and location.
Which courses and institutions require the SAT?
The SAT is widely accepted by colleges and universities in the United States as a requirement for admission. Here are some examples of the courses and institutions that require the SAT:
1. Undergraduate programs: Most undergraduate programs at colleges and universities in the United States require the SAT test as part of their admissions process.
2. Ivy League schools: Ivy League schools such as Harvard University, Yale University, and Princeton University require the SAT for admission.
3. Top-ranked universities: Many top-ranked universities such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and California Institute of Technology (Caltech) require the SAT for admission.
4. Scholarship programs: Some scholarship programs require the SAT as part of their eligibility criteria.
ACT (American College Testing)
Are you a student planning to study in the United States? You may need to take the ACT as part of your college admissions process. Here’s what you need to know:
What is the ACT?
The ACT is a standardized test used by colleges and universities in the United States to evaluate a student’s readiness for college-level coursework. The test measures a student’s knowledge and skills in English, math, reading, and science.
How is the ACT structured?
The ACT is composed of four sections: English, math, reading, and science. The test takes approximately three hours and 35 minutes to complete. In addition, students can choose to take an optional writing section that adds an additional 40 minutes to the test.
How much does the ACT cost in India?
The cost of the ACT for Indian students can vary depending on the testing center and the specific test date. However, as of 2023, here are the approximate costs for each test:
ACT without Writing: $55 (approximately INR 4,000)
ACT with Writing: $71 (approximately INR 5,200)
Late registration fees and other fees may apply depending on the test date and location.
Which courses and institutions require the ACT?
The ACT is widely accepted by colleges and universities across the United States as part of their undergraduate admissions process. Some institutions may require or prefer the ACT over other standardized tests, such as the SAT or SAT Subject Tests. Here are some examples of courses and institutions that may require or prefer the ACT:
1. Engineering programs: Some engineering programs may require the ACT, particularly the math and science sections, as these subjects are crucial for success in engineering studies.
2. Honors programs: Many honors programs require or prefer the ACT, as it demonstrates a high level of academic achievement and potential for success in rigorous academic coursework.
3. Liberal arts colleges: Some liberal arts colleges may prefer the ACT, as it measures a student’s ability to think critically and solve complex problems, skills that are highly valued in liberal arts education.
4. State universities: Many state universities require or prefer the ACT, particularly those that do not have specific requirements for other standardized tests.
If you are looking for expert assistance on preparing for the any of the above test, connect with the experts at Collegepond. Our certified and trained faculty are equipped with the right resources and tools to help you secure your coveted test scores! Connect now for more information.