How To Choose the Best University from Multiple Admits?
Congratulations on receiving multiple admits from the list of best universities to study abroad. You will surely be over the moon to see how many top universities abroad preferred your student application over the tons that were submitted. However, the battle isn’t over. It’s time for you to select your university. Choosing the right university is an essential process because it can make or break your academic and career goals. We understand that as an international student, you wish to leave no stone unturned when making an academic investment. Thus, to help you choose your ideal university, we have shared a list of tips which you should consider.
Which University to Choose Based on Your List of Admits?
During your university research process, several universities were shortlisted and applied to as they matched your study and job aspirations. Now, keeping these same factors in mind, it’s time to accept one university’s admission letter. Thus, the best way to do this is to compare them on the basis of numerous academic and professional factors. These include:
- Check the university’s reputation
It is always better to select a university that exhibits a good reputation. Such universities are widely recognized, and availing a degree certificate from here can impact your job opportunities as well. To analyze your universities reputation, exploring official sources such as QS World University Rankings and so on will help.
- Analyze the course offerings
The purpose of pursuing your chosen study program is to enable you to develop the right skills and knowledge needed to perform better in your dream job. Thus, you should consider the below factors during the course comparison from each admit:
- What are the topics covered under the course program?
- If I wish to pursue the course program further, are there any specializations available?
- Who are the faculties teaching this program? Are they experts in this field? What is their academic background?
- How does the university enhance the learning experience for this course program? Are there any practical activities? Is there any educational facility that supports the learning?
- Is the course curriculum updated?
- Are you developing the skills which the current market requires?
- Does the course program offer seminars, events or debates during learning?
- Will you engage with experts in this field?
- Check the education cost of the university
Analyzing your budget is another vital factor to consider when choosing your final university. Students should first list down their academic budget and then compare the universities that match that budget. Failing to do this can impact your academic journey in a negative way. For instance, say that you have got accepted into two universities. Both the universities offer a great academic offering however, university A is more expensive than the other.
In such a case, what should you do? If you choose university A, you will face the issue of managing your academic fees during your study period. Failure to do the latter can result in you opting out of the program and wasting an academic year. Instead, you could opt for university B where the fees fit your budget, and just like university A, you receive exceptional education.
- Explore the available list of financial aid offered when studying abroad
Studying abroad is an expensive affair. However, students can cater to these expenses with the assistance of financial aids. These include scholarships, grants, bursaries and fellowships. The purpose of these aids is that it helps supports international students financially by offering full or partial funding for tuition fees or other related expenses such as travel costs, rent, etc. Thus, you should always keep an eye on such universities that offer various financial benefits to assist you in any of your academic choices.
- Get a campus tour
Before you invest in any of the universities, ensure you have either visited or conducted a virtual tour of the campus. The university will be your first home in which you will spend most of your day hours; thus, it is essential that you learn more about it. By conducting a campus tour, you will learn the following:
- What your campus looks like?
- What are the educational facilities provided by the university?
- What your classroom looks like?
- What are the amenities offered by the university?
- How big is the study area at the university?
- What extra-curricular activities are offered by the university?
- Where your campus is situated?
- Analyze your living conditions
As you consider your academic offerings, there are also other aspects that require your attention. Before you can select any university, you should also consider your living arrangements. Here are a few things you should analyze:
- Which study abroad destination meets your lifestyle choices?
- Which area is best suited for you as a student?
- What is the cost of living for each university? Which is the most affordable one?
- How are the neighbours or residents living in your university area? Are they warm and welcoming to new cultures?
- Are there shops or markets nearby your university?
- What is the nightlife or social life in the university area?
- Is it safe to stay in your study area?
- What is the theft or crime rate in the area?
- How is the climate? Do you prefer living in such a climate?
- What is the cost of housing in this university area?
- Does the university offer on-campus housing?
- Is off-campus housing cheap?
- Which is the most student-friendly city?
- Are there affordable dining out options?
- How is the local transport?
- Evaluate the potential job offerings
Apart from academics, students should also enroll in a university that can help them find a job that suits their career goals. Most abroad universities are either situated in the center of the corporate hub drawing attention from top corporate brands, or are partnered with reputed brands in the market. Either way, finding a job upon graduation shouldn’t be difficult based on your university choice. Here are a few things to consider:
- Ensure the university offers placement opportunities with only the best brands in the market
- The university should be partnered at least with top corporate brands in the country or globally
- There should be a support service at the university that could help students to find a job, such as guiding them to perform better in interviews or helping draft exceptional resumes
- The university should offer plenty of internship opportunities for students to analyze their work environment based on their course program and to support themselves financially via part-time jobs
- Speak to the alumni community of the university
Ensure the university you choose has a good alumni network. One of the best ways to decide on which university fits your academic interests well is by speaking to past graduates from the same institution. You will be able to learn better how the university can enhance your learning experience academically and whether there are potential job opportunities available for you during or upon graduation. Also, having a good alumni network can also help you build good networking skills to make it easier to pursue your career goals.
- Scan the student services offered
One more factor which most students should consider when choosing their final university is whether any student support services are offered. A good university will always offer a support service to assist their students in multiple ways, such as mental health, financial aid or equivalent. By offering these services, it is proof that a university genuinely cares to assist the needs of its students.
- Review the class size as per your course program
Another key factor which you should also consider is the class size as per your study program. If you have the opportunity to choose between a large class size or a small class size, always opt for the latter. The core reason being with small class sizes, you will be able to receive individual attention from your expert tutors. This will enable you to pursue your study program better and clear any doubts on the spot.
- Judge the academic teaching method
One of the prime factors to consider before selecting a university is the teaching method they exhibit. You should always opt for a university that goes out of its way to enhance a student’s learning experience. For instance, refrain from choosing an academic institution that focuses only on theoretical learning. Instead, choose one that offers more practical and creative thinking, encourages open discussions in classrooms, conducts workshops and more to improve your learning.
- Read university reviews
Reading university reviews are other ways to learn better about a university. Visit as many review pages as possible to weigh the pros and cons of each university, thus making it easier for you to make a decision.
- Check for education choices after your study
Also, ensure that the university offers multiple other programs to help enhance your education further. For instance, if you wish to make a career in the business world and have completed your bachelor’s in business, it is suggested to pursue an MBA. Thus, the university you wish to enroll in should offer a meaningful MBA program to enhance your learning further.
- Make a list of other academic benefits the university offers
Apart from offering academic and professional opportunities, you should also see whether the university offers other facilities for you. This includes student discounts on travel, on-campus housing, part-time job opportunities on the campus, and health insurance perks or equivalent. Always opt for a university that enhances its educational offerings to cater to each international student’s convenience accordingly.
- Speak to your friends/families/education consultants
Lastly, once you have the comparison list based on the above-listed factors, it’s time to get a second opinion from your friends and families. Discussing with them will help you see what suits your academic and professional interests better. Furthermore, if you prefer to seek expert assistance, speaking to a study abroad counsellor can help. At Collegepond, we have a team of such expert counsellors that have guided thousands of study abroad aspirants to their ideal academic destination.
You should be proud of yourself that you were able to gain multiple admits from your preferred choice of universities. Making the decision to choose the best university abroad can be nerve-racking, which is why making use of the above-listed tips proves to be helpful. However, if you still wish to seek assistance in taking the final call to choose the right university, you can get in touch with our expert counsellors, that can guide you through this process with their study abroad expertise. Book a free 1-1 counselling session today!