Everything you need to know about Duolingo English Test
Suppose you are planning to study abroad and have started applying to foreign universities. In that case, it is important for you to understand the English proficiency testing requirements. While you may be familiar with TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE, but there’s a new testing option introduced to test your English proficiency – the Duolingo English Test (DET).
So what is DET? How is it different in terms of cost-effectiveness, testing methodologies, and convenience as compared to the standard English language tests that are available? Let us take a closer look at how DET differs from other tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE.
An Overview of Duolingo
This is the most popular English language learning platforms in the world. Today, it is used by 500 million users worldwide. Duolingo is available on-demand and online. A test taker needs no prior appointment or go to the test center. They can take the test from home via webcam and computer. A test taker will get certified test results in 48 hours. The test results are accepted by more than 1000 institutions in English-speaking countries like the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
A Comparison Between Duolingo and Other English Tests
English language proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL are not only challenging to take but also cumbersome given the prior scheduling, traveling, cost and assessment time involved, costing hundreds of dollars and weeks of waiting time for results to come in.
- DET is a technology-driven adaptive exam used to measure the English language proficiency of students applying to foreign universities and colleges. It is different from the traditional testing methodologies, as it is ‘adaptive’ and ‘revolutionary’ in nature. The test moves intuitively by generating successive questions based on how you have answered the preceding questions. Accordingly, you will be presented with easy or difficult questions based on your response to questions that you have attempted – thereby offering a more precise and accurate assessment as compared to the traditional tests.
- DET offers an intuitive approach to testing and excludes dependent activities like scheduling appointments and booking test centers.
- Even though TOEFL and IELTS are computer-based tests, you can take the DET from the comfort of your home using your home computer.
- The test costs $49, and you can take the online test anytime you want.
- While the test duration is usually spread over an hour, you can get your results in two days. You can take the test as many times you want, but not more than twice a month.
- You can send your results to unlimited schools and colleges at no extra cost. While TOEFL allows you to send your scores to four universities for free, IELTS permits you to send to five universities. Subsequently, you are charged for additional reports. With DET, there are no charges for additional reports.
- What makes the DET test more valuable is that it also includes a video interview section, in which you can speak for 1-3 minutes on any of the two assigned topics. You will be asked to respond to questions by a proctor as you will be on camera while taking the test.
There is also a writing sample test that you can send to universities. The test is secure and reliable as it uses cutting-edge technologies like data forensic and biometric technology for assessing your test preparedness and English language skills.
Today, more than half of the US-based top-tier universities accept DET in place of the IELTS or TOEFL. As a result, the test is slowly gaining prominence across many countries, as many leading institutions worldwide such as Duke, UCLA, NYU, Cardiff, Trinity College to name a few, have started using DET as part of their admission process. It is important to note that some universities may ask for additional proof of English proficiency.
If the university that you are applying to accepts DET, then you might want to consider taking this test, as DET is intuitive, cost-effective and significantly dynamic in evaluation. Opting for DET will not only enable you to take the test from your home, cutting down on the traveling time, cost, and evaluation period but also help you to showcase your English skills with ease and comfort.
If you need any further information on DET, you can email us at email@example.com. We, at Collegepond, remain fully committed to supporting you and preparing you for your future success.