Why pursue MS in Brown University?
Brown University is a private, Ivy League, Research University in Providence, Rhode Island. Founded in 1764 as “The College in the English Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations,” Brown is the seventh-oldest institution of higher education in the United States and one of the nine Colonial Colleges established before the – American Revolution.
At its foundation, Brown was the first college in the United States to accept students regardless of their religious affiliation. Its engineering program, established in 1847, was the first in what is now known as the Ivy League. Brown’s New Curriculum—sometimes referred to in education theory as the Brown Curriculum—was adopted by faculty vote in 1969 after a period of student lobbying; the New Curriculum eliminated mandatory “general education” distribution requirements, made students “the architects of their own syllabus,” and allowed them to take any course for a grade of satisfactory or unrecorded no-credit. In
1971, Brown’s coordinate women’s institution, Pembroke College, was fully merged into the university.
Undergraduate admissions are among the most selective in the country, with an acceptance rate of 9.5 percent for the class of 2019, according to the university. The University comprises The College, the Graduate School, Alpert Medical School, the School of Engineering, the School of Public Health, and the School of Professional Studies (which includes the IE Brown Executive MBA program). Brown’s international programs are organized through the Watson Institute for International Studies, and is academically affiliated with the Marine Biological Laboratory and the Rhode Island School of Design. The Brown/RISD Dual Degree Program, offered in conjunction with the Rhode Island School of Design, is a five-year course that awards degrees from both institutions.
Brown’s main campus is located in the College Hill Historic District in the city of
Providence, the third largest city in New England. The University’s neighbourhood is a federally listed architectural district with a dense concentration of ancient buildings. On the western edge of the campus, Benefit Street contains “one of the finest cohesive collections of restored seventeenth- and eighteenth-century architecture in the United States”.