Top 10 safe cities in USA
Studying abroad has always been a major concern for parents, who send their children away from the safe and familiar environment at home. Though USA is no longer considered to be alien, especially since the internet revolution has allowed us to familiarize us with its culture, its lifestyle and its cities, parents are confident their children will blend well with the life out there, but are apprehensive about safety issues and are on the lookout for cities with civic patrolling, low car fatalities, low violent crime rate and strict gun control laws. Therefore they need to be assured that their child is staying in a safe place. Also, considering that students who plan to stay off-campus would be on the search for a place that is in close proximity to the university campus, it becomes doubly important to ensure that the stay arrangements are made in a safe environment that will not hamper their movements after dark. Hence, while applying to universities, a student needs to be aware of which ones are the safe cities to live in and which ones to avoid. Know more about the Top 10 Unsafe Cities in USA for a student or professional.
To simplify this dilemma of identifying safer cities, we have compiled a list of 10 safest cities to live in the USA.
- Beginning with the safest city of the Unites States. Neperville, a western suburb of Chicago, Illinois has consistently ranked at the top of the list. With a population of 148,070, it is also ranked as the wealthiest and safest city in the Midwest, according to a report issued by USA Today and Business Insider. The sprawling city consists of energetic and dynamic city shelters, acclaimed public and parochial schools, exotic parks, religious centres, healthcare facilities and has an exceptionally low crime rate. If we talk about universities, the University of St Francis is just 15 miles away, and Concordia University, Chicago is 21 miles from Neperville. So if you plan to study in these universities, then you would indeed be living in the safest city of the country. The city has all the comforts of a modern city and charisma of a small town, where one always sees happy and friendly people.
- Cary in North Carolina, the seventh-largest municipality, is situated in Wake Country with a small area in Chatham Country. With a population of 164,835, it is considered to be the second most populated town in the U.S. According to a report made by Money Magazine, Cary is one of the Best Small Cities in America. Moreover, the Police and Fire department and Emergency Medical Services are nationally accredited. Surrounded by universities such as North Carolina Central University, Duke University, and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Cary can best fit students who look forward to staying in one of the safest cities in the U.S.
- Allen, a city in Collins County, Texas, is a northern suburb of Dallas with an overall population of 101,020 and violent crime rate of less than 79 per 100k. Dallas Morning News titled Allen to be the second-best neighbourhood in North Texas. Sheltering University of Texas, Dallas and other strong schools and plentiful jobs makes Allen 6th in Nerdwallet’s assessment of Best Cities for First-Time Homebuyers. Moreover, the city of Allen Finance Department received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for the 18th consecutive year.
- Gilbert, a town in Maricopa County, Arizona is located towards the southeast of Phoenix and is the centre of vivacious scenic attractions. Encompassing 76 square miles with a rapid transformation from an agriculture-based community to an economically diverse suburban centre positioned within the Greater Phoenix area. Gilbert has a population of 255,899 and is one of the safest cities of U.S wherein, one can experience the vast environmental beauty of this exotic city.
- Irvine, a city where life flourishes, is a master-planned city in Orange County, California. Being one of the safest cities, it also shelters major universities such as University of California, Concordia University, Irvine Valley College, University of Southern California, and University of La Verne, which makes the city to be a huge attraction for students. The safety measures? (specify briefly) taken by the government also ensures life at its best with a population of 2,66,000.
- Murrieta, a city in south western riverside county, California is a habitation for over 111,043 with an extremely low criminal record. It is the fastest growing city of the state and so an excellent hub for tourists. Moreover, as Murrieta is located in the centre of the Los Angeles-San Diego Mega region comprising of 22 million people, it turns out to be the desired destination for people.
- Once considered to be the fastest-growing cities in the United States, Frisco is also one of the safest cities of the United States. Frisco was designated “Tree City USA” by the National Arbor Day Foundation and after the NCAA FCS Football Championship game, it is nicknamed as “Fargo South”. A liveable place with an amiable atmosphere, is a part of the humid subtropical region which is sunny for around 230 days per year.
- Named after the many oak trees, Thousand Oaks is the second-largest city in Ventura County, California. Incorporated in the year of 1964, it shelters a population of over 129,853. It is one of the safest cities in America according to an FBI reporting. This region experiences a hot and summer Mediterranean climate and sometimes a dry-summer subtropical zone climate with sunny summers, mild winters and moderate rainfall.
- Sunnyvale located in Santa Clara County is a city with a population of over 154,108. It is situated in the high-tech area of California and serves as headquarter for most of the technology companies. Sunnyvale is also called ‘The Blue Cube’, owing to the colour and shape of its windowless main buildings. Moreover, Sunnyvale has top class universities namely Santa Clara university, San Jose State University and Stanford University which means it also attracts quite a lot of international students and its safety measures ensures a healthy environment for them.
- Simi Valley is in the southeast corner of Ventura County, California and consists a population of 127,252. It has twice ranked as the 18th most conservative city in the United States; once by The Bay Area Centre and another by GovPro.com. Moreover, according to a study conducted by University of Vermont, Simi Valley stood as the fifth-happiest city in the United States.
We hope this list of safe cities provides you with insights regarding what you should look out for when you select a city for your stay while pursuing your higher studies in the US.
You could also check out our article on ‘10 Unsafe Cities in the USA for International Students’.