Interested in a Canadian Study Visa? Here’s some good news! The Canadian government has recently relaxed the rules so that the entire visa procedure is more friendly. Also, India and Canada have recently signed an MOU relating to areas like student and faculty exchange, research and curriculum development, and mutual recognition of educational qualifications.
The Canadian immigration authority, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), has stated that students from India will get faster visas because of major changes in visa procedures which will reduce the processing time to within 45 days as compared to within 60 days earlier. IRCC is also exploring more efficient ways to process applications.
Under the process called the Student Direct Stream (SDS), students from India who prove that they have the financial resources and language skills to succeed academically in Canada will be processed faster. What’s more, SDS complements the Express Entry system for permanent residence in Canada, if that’s what you are looking for.
Of course, to qualify for SDS, you need to meet additional requirements too such as language levels that are stricter than regular study permit requirements. But don’t be discouraged, because even if you don’t have all of the additional information required for SDS, there is a way out. You can apply through the regular study permit application process, either online or at a Visa Application Centre.
Here are the requirements to be processed quickly for the student visa and to be eligible for SDS as per the High Commission of Canada:
– You need to be accepted by an eligible post-secondary Designated Learning Institute (DLI)
– You need to have paid your tuition for the first year
– You need to obtain a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 from one of the financial institutions approved by IRCC
– You need to complete an upfront medical examination
– You need to have the minimum-required IELTS level of English language ability of 6.0 in all categories (listening, reading, writing and speaking).
Make sure the above requirements are fulfilled and you could be well on your way to a better future.