Pre-departure checklist for study abroad
Preparing to study overseas is not only exciting, but daunting as well. A lot of things need to be considered, and elaborate preparations needs to be done before you embark on your journey to study abroad. However, the following pre-departure tips will make your preparation organized and stress-free:
- You must check the expiry date of your passport and renew it, if necessary. Also, it is advisable to carry a photo copy of the passport with you.
- Ensure that your visa is ready and maintain a photocopy of your visa as well.
- You must carry with you the details of your travel insurance along with its photo copy.
- You must carry your driver’s license or any other valid documents that will help to identify you since these documents may be required to prove your identity.
- Certain universities provide ID cards before the date of joining. In such a case you must get hold of it as it is really important.
- You must read the joining instructions of the university carefully as it may contain some important instructions and list of documents that need to be furnished.
- Ensure that you have the university admit card which specifies the joining date, student roll number, and other such related information
- It is advisable to maintain hard copies of fees receipt and other pay slips.
- You must take photo copies of all your academic certificates along with you.
Health and safety:
- Ensure that you have taken all the necessary vaccinations. You must get a vaccination certificate and carry it with you, along with the photo copy of the same.
- Remember to carry your medicines if you have been asked to do so by your doctor.
- You must carry your medical history along with you as this will prove to be extremely beneficial in case you need to visit a doctor abroad. Carry the prescriptions and other medical test results if any. Also, it is advisable to carry your blood group id with you.
- It is recommended to take health insurance policies, and if you have a policy, then you must carry its details along with you.
- As soon as you are accepted into a study abroad program, you should monitor the exchange rate applicable to the currency of your host country since exchange rates fluctuate daily and this can greatly impact your budget.
- You must carry your credit card and an ATM card with you while you travel. A credit card can be used in case of emergencies when cash is not readily available. An ATM card is handy since it is one of the most convenient ways to access cash and most locations do have ATMs.
- Avoid carrying large amount of cash with you. Another option for making payments is to use travellers’ cheques.
- You may want to keep some local currency with you prior to your arrival as it will allow you some flexibility. You will not need to find an ATM or bank immediately.
- You must keep a copy of the rent agreement and other valid documents with you.
- You must carry copies of passport size photographs as you may need the same for legal and admission procedures.
- Keep at hand your housing information such as the address, phone number, map etc.
- You must keep the details of personal and baggage insurance policies with you.
- Weigh your bags to ensure that its weight is within the prescribed limit since you will not be allowed to carry luggage that weighs more than a specified weight.
- You must remember to label your luggage with your contact details such as your name, address and phone number.
- Ensure that you have the right clothes which are suitable keeping in mind the various seasons in the foreign country.
- Remember to pack all the essential items like- Basic toiletries, electronics such as laptops, mobile chargers, converters and adapters, comfortable shoes, reading materials and notebooks for class.
- You must check with your cell phone provider if your cell phone can work overseas.
- You can also buy a local pay-as-you-go cell phone upon arrival, or you can simply purchase a local SIM card.
- You can use Skype, Facebook, and Gmail for communication as they will enable you to have a video chat with your family and friends.