Job Prospects in the Netherlands

Job Prospects in the Netherlands
Country Selection

Job Prospects in the Netherlands

job prospects in Netherland

Studying abroad is increasingly becoming the norm among Indian students, especially for those living in the cities. While pursuing higher studies in a top university is the dream of every student who aspires to go abroad, the job prospects that are available to students locally is the deciding factor that comes only second to the program specifics. The Netherlands is a dream destination for every international student in terms of work, study and leisure.

In the Netherlands, a student can choose from internationally acclaimed universities like Erasmus University and Utrecht University, which offer a diverse range of programs from the liberal arts to pure sciences. Once you have completed the admission process, you must approach the Dutch consulate closest to you, in your home country to begin the student visa process. For both, short study (up to three months) or long study purposes (over three months), you need to apply for a Provisional Residence Permit (MVV) – an entry visa.

If you plan to stay in the Netherlands more than three months, in addition to your entry visa, you will also have to apply for a Residence Permit (VVR) – an ID card that stands as a study visa. Alternatively, your university may apply for the VVR on your behalf for a stipulated charge. If needed, the VVR can be extended to an additional three months, plus the preparatory year. After you arrive in Netherlands, you have to register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BPR) in the municipality you are going to reside in.

Once you finish your studies, you may search for employment within the country. You don’t have to speak Dutch to work in the Netherlands – in fact, English is the main business language in many companies – but it increases your chances if you do. If you don’t speak Dutch, you will probably end up working in the Netherlands for a large international company. If you work for a smaller company then you will generally need to be able to speak Dutch in order to participate in a meeting or make a presentation. Expats who speak French, German, Flemish or a Scandinavian language are always in demand. To learn Dutch, you can find many Dutch language courses in the Netherlands.

Highly skilled workers are in great demand for jobs in the Netherlands and they must earn 30% higher than the minimum wages set for their age group. Click on the link to see the chart for the year 2018. This group includes engineers, those with technical skills, IT specialists, those working in finance, as well as people with experience of working in sales, marketing and customer service. To be employed as a highly skilled migrant, you must have an employment contract for a minimum of four months with an employer recognised by the Immigration and Naturalisation Department (IND). Your employer will then be a recognised sponsor. These minimum wage thresholds however, do not hold true for graduates eligible for or holding an orientation year permit who need to only earn EUR 2,228 a month or secure a contract that would pay them over that limit, to secure a permit. Other in-demand jobs in the Netherlands include professionals and graduates working in health care, tax, interim managers and education.

In terms of salary, according to the Dutch university and college guide, Keuze Studiegids, dentistry is the most lucrative profession to pursue in the Netherlands. The Dutch usually work a 36–40 hour week, sometimes spread over just four days. Work in the Netherlands is very well-structured within organisations, most of the work is done during normal working hours, the employees are not usually expected to work overtime.

If your stay exceeds 90 days, in most cases your employer will be able to apply for a single permit (gecombineerde vergunning voor verblijf en arbeid or GVVA) in your name, which combines the Dutch residence and work permit in one application via the IND. Also, a Dutch work permit is employer specific. If you have a permit to work for one company and then want to switch jobs, you will need a new work permit. Generally, single permits are issued for a maximum of one year. However, there are some exceptions, such as the intra-company transfer work permit, which can be issued for a maximum of three years.

Given the plethora of banking, finance, education, research positions in sectors that constantly need an influx of highly trained and specialised individuals, these have opened avenues for hopeful young graduates as well as experienced professionals from across the globe. With its fair business practices, employee friendly policies and excellent work-life balance, the Netherlands would be a preferred destination for any professional or graduate wishing to work with the best in the field.

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This