Germany – Education and Immigration
Immigration, Studying and Living Abroad

Germany – Education and Immigration


The low or no tuition structure of German varsity education has made it a popular choice of most international students. An ever flourishing economy epitomising the era of Industrialisation, Germany offers international students a quality of life seldom available in other countries. Famous for its verdant forests and mountains, Germany also has a cultural experience to offer visitors, students or settlers, an experience far superior in the making.

If you are interested in studying in Germany and have not yet been accepted to a state or state-recognized institute of higher learning, you are considered as an applicant. As an applicant, you can be issued a residence permit for up to nine months. This requires that you presumably meet the qualification requirements for a course of study and can verify this with the appropriate (original) documents.

However, if your foreign education credentials do not qualify for direct acceptance to such an institute, you can take a qualification test in order to earn the qualification to be admitted for a specific subject. If you get your education visa for Germany and complete your degree, you can remain in Germany to search for a job for a limited period of time. If you find a job during that period, you are allowed to stay in Germany. It is reported that up to 54% of students who complete a degree in Germany stay in the country and find a job.

Furthermore, entrepreneurs and investors who create economic opportunities in Germany, are allowed to immigrate with the threshold of investment being currently pegged at 250,000 Euros. In addition, you will need to get a self-employment visa, which falls under the category of German Work Visa.  Residence permits can be temporary and permanent, depending on the purpose of issue. Students are issued temporary residence permits, which allow foreign nationals to stay in Germany for a specified period of time and then, return to their home countries.

Permanent residence permits mean that the foreign national can reside at will without the benefits of a citizen like voting, passport etc. Germany has two temporary residence permits and one permanent. The Standard Residence Permit is used for immigration as mentioned above as well as for those completing training courses, those visiting Germany for political and humanitarian reasons etc.

Moreover, The EU Blue Card is given to foreign national workers (who are not citizens of EU countries) who have high qualifications and want to work in Germany and apply those skills. High qualifications mean that the person has an undergraduate or graduate degree in any given field. To qualify for the EU Blue Card, you need to have already found a job in Germany, and the minimum annual salary must be 50,800 Euros.

The EU Blue Card grants its holders the right to stay in Germany for four years, with a possibility of changing their residence permit into a permanent settlement.  To qualify for permanent settlement the person must show enough German proficiency, meet certain financial requirements, as well as must have worked in Germany for more than 33 months in their place of employment, which requires the skills gained with the highest qualifications. Following the issuance of the EU Blue Card is the permanent residence permit in Germany, which is called the Settlement Permit. This is given to those who have had either a standard residence permit or an EU Blue Card for at least 5 years and meet certain language requirements.

For more details on how you can plan your study and career progression in Germany, contact your nearest Collegepond office and we will help you realize your dreams of studying, working and settling in Germany.


Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This